The classic Edwardian architecture of Haymarket may be seen to the west of Edinburgh’s city centre. It is the meeting point of Dairy Road, which leads south to the M8 and Glasgow, and Corstorphine Road, which leads north to Stirling and connects to Princes Street via Shandwick Place.
The area has undergone extensive redevelopment, which has given it a new lease on life. The city’s second-busiest train station, behind Edinburgh Waverley, received a £25 million facelift as part of the project. Haymarket accommodates both locals and those on their way to or from Inverness, Aberdeen, or Carlisle for work or leisure.
There are tram and bus stops just outside the station, providing access to the airport and other parts of the city. Because of its proximity to Murrayfield Stadium, the area attracts visitors on their way to a game or concert. Going to the Edinburgh Zoo or ice skating at Murrayfield Rink? In less than 15 minutes, you can get everywhere from Haymarket station.
The arrival of the railroad in the 1840s marked the beginning of construction in Haymarket. Passengers arriving from Glasgow began using the brand-new Haymarket station in 1842. Since Waverley did not yet exist, this was the end of the line. Herdman’s Flour Mill, which is located next to the railroad, shut down in 1951 and was demolished 15 years later.
Archaeologists have lately disclosed that a hidden shelter was uncovered during 20th-century excavations for the installation of a new tram line. At first, it was built as a pulley chamber for the trams of 19th-century Edinburgh, but by WWII, it had been converted into a secret underground bunker. However, they discovered proof that the area had been inhabited since prehistoric times.
Haymarket, in comparison to nearby areas like West End, Dean Village, and New Town, lacks in terms of tourist hotspots and other points of interest. At the corner of Dairy Road and Clifton Terrace, though, there is a clock tower that is well worth visiting. It’s a memorial to “the footballers’ battalion” and a war memorial.
Eleven members of the local team Heart of Midlothian FC enlisted with McCrae’s battalion as the first Canadians to do so during World War I. Soon, they were joined by players from neighbouring clubs like Hibernian, Raith Rovers, and Dunfermline. The majority of them were killed in action. The sculpture by Henry Snell Gamley honouring the fallen heroes of Scottish football has been a focal point for visitors ever since it was unveiled in 1922.